Never miss another article!
- - Get notified when we publish a new article.
- - No personal information required. Turn off anytime
Published: May 26, 2021 • Last Updated: May 26, 2021
1. One-third of men's fragrances sold are worn by women: And you thought you were supposed to wear according to the gender you identify with? Wrong! There is no such rule that floral scents should be worn by women and deep-woody scents by men, you should wear whatever smells good to you. Generally speaking, all perfumes are unisex and classifying perfumes on the basis of gender is just another marketing ploy by big designer houses so wear whatever pleases your nose.
2. The word perfume is derived from the Latin word 'per fumus': About 2500 years ago, the Romans and the Arabs were the first people who refined the art of perfumery. Per Fumus translates to 'through smoke'. The ancient practice was to burn incense and wood to perfume the clothes and environment hence the term 'per fumus'.
3. Perfume can make you feel sexy: Cleopatra knew this and used perfumes to attract Mark Anthony. It is no secret that certain perfumes have aphrodisiac qualities. Perfumes with notes of jasmine, ylang-ylang and ginger can prompt instant attraction and intuitive sensual response.
4. Rose and Jasmine are the most common floral perfumes: It's hard to imagine floral scents without these two notes. Name a few floral scents without rose or jasmine, we'll wait.
5. The same scent can smell different on 2 people: It all depends on the pH level of your skin. The pH level of your skin is determined by your lifestyle and eating habits mainly. So, the next time your favorite perfume doesn't smell the same on your skin, it doesn't necessarily mean it has gone off, you just might have changed your lifestyle.
6. Don't rub your wrists: Rubbing your wrists is a big no-no! This causes the skin to heat up, which in turn changes the molecular structure of the scent, causing the top notes to fade away quickly. In short, your perfume won't last long if you don't get rid of this bad habit.
7. Scents have the power to alter your mood: Research has shown that scents can have a real impact on your mood. If you are feeling stressed, spray a lavender-based scent to help you calm down. Citrus-based scents can also energize you instantly and put you in a happy mood.
8. Moisturise before you apply your scent: Put on some Vaseline or an unscented lotion on your body before applying your fragrance. The moisture helps lock in the scent, which will make it last longer on your skin. The best thing to do is moisturize and apply your perfume right after you step out of the shower
9. Your nose gets used to your signature scent: Your nose is not as evolved as you might think it is. Ever sprayed on your favorite scent but couldn't smell it after the first 10-15 minutes? That's your nose playing tricks on your mind, it gets accustomed to scent that it smells on a daily basis.
10. Store your perfume in a cool dry place: Want to know the sure-fire way to kill the potency of your perfume? Store it in a humid place like your bathroom. Humidity, sunlight and constant fluctuations in temperature are the biggest enemy of your perfume. Ideally, you should store your perfume in a cool- dry place in the dark, in an upright position.
Want to try a new perfume every month for a fraction of the retail price? Check out the latest and greatest fragrance here: https://www.scentgod.com.au/
ScentGod is Australia's very own subscription for luxury fragrances where you can try a different designer perfume every month from just $17.45.
Follow us on Instagram @scentgodaustralia for scent tips and the latest fragrance drops.
Your Cart is Empty